Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The throes of teething

My poor little boy is so sad. All of these big white teeth are trying to pop through his little gums. Sigh.

At least there is one consolation: he has discovered the joys of using a cold teether straight from the fridge, which seems to alleviate some of the pain. (Previously he refused all cold and/or wet items such as frozen washcloths.) I also bought him a Sophie teether, which he really seems to like. Another good purchase was a teething necklace, since he likes to try to eat my jewelry anyway.

Why oh why does benzocaine have to carry risks? We were using it before (since Joseph has been teething since 4 months old) and it seemed to help. However, I do not want to see any crazy problems like the ones described here. His health is more important than momentary discomforts.

2 comments:

  1. how do you like the teething necklace? Colton likes to grab at my jewelry and put it in his mouth, i just worry that if he does with the teether, he will get in a habit with non teething jewelry??? Do you find Joseph does that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kimi - I like it a lot. It's cute and Joseph seems to like it. He was already grabbing my jewelry before I got the teething necklace, so I just try to discourage him from doing it with other necklaces and let him chew on the teething one. I don't know how it will turn out in the long run, but at least this way I don't have to worry about not having a teether on me! :)

    ReplyDelete